The Ecolodge Princesa de la Luna is found immersed within an exuberant tropical plant farm in an outstanding location nested above the northern plains of Costa Rica, facing the Arenal Volcano and looking towards Nicaragua on the northern horizon.
A Magical Place Indeed
This magical place is unusual with more than 100 types of fruit trees, including many that are threatened by extinction or are endangered species. The area is one of the most biodiverse and fertile in the world and therefore wonderful for understanding and observing nature and experiencing the wildlife and the people who live here. We believe in the concept of integrated tourism, so enjoy meeting real people!
Sustainable Lifestyle with Biodiversity
The objective here is to practice permaculture principles and create a self-sufficient and sustainable lifestyle in harmony with the local biodiversity. The unique Princesa de la Luna ecolodge has 8 rooms and Pineapple house, ideal for small groups and up to around 22 people can be accommodated comfortably.
- The rooms are decorated in a rustic, natural style, using many local handmade decorations.
- The rooms include private bathrooms with showers, ceiling fans, many observation points and large terraces with impressive views of the forest, valleys, hills and the imposing Arenal volcano which is directly in front of the main house.
Spring Fed Swimming Pool
There is a spring-filled swimming pool, waterfalls and many trails for hiking within the farm, as well as many other activities in the area. We can help design packages for tourists for long stays of a few weeks or as short as a night or weekend.
This tiled, stream-fed swimming pool lies on the valley floor alongside the river, deliciously chemical free thanks to the constant flow of fresh water. Heading upstream, another swimming pool, this time supplied by the main river, is set deep in the canyon and hidden from any buildings, offering a really private dip on the wild side. If you like, you can follow the river trails from here to the property’s secluded waterfall.
So Much to Enjoy
- There are many fresh fruits, vegetables and other ingredients available that we produce on the farm or in the local area as well.
- This is an interesting place for an adventurous honeymoon or a peaceful getaway. Also, volunteers are welcome to come and share this experience.
- It may not have the closest views of Arenal Volcano, but Princesa de la Luna Ecolodge, about five kilometers south of La Fortuna in north-central Costa Rica, is high on the list when it comes to dramatic vistas, laid-back hospitality and tropical exuberance.
- The secluded main house and adjacent cabins perch above a steep gully that drops down to the Cacao River, with some 10 kilometers of trails meandering through the property’s untouched forest and gardens planted with nearly 100 species of fruit trees and tropical shrubs. And, yes, if it’s clear, you get views of the famously active volcano.
- Perfect for balcony birding,
- The lodge lends itself to rentals by groups that want privacy in a jungle setting, and can accommodate about 20 people comfortably.
- The owner bought the forested 10-hectare property a decade ago, and concentrated first on planting the fruit trees and tropical shrubs that cover about half the land to explore the principles of permaculture (the practice of marrying human settlement and agriculture into sustainable land-use design). The lodge has been operating for three years, and is very much a work in progress.
- Recently, Princesa de la Luna was chosen as one of the locations for NBC’s new “Love in the Wild” reality dating show, so you can relive the moment following in the footsteps of the contestants (see box).
- 6 family rooms, 2 cabins, 1 bungalow with two family rooms, managers house on the property.
- One two-bedroom house on the property.
- 2 restaurants and two bars
- Great occupancy rates all year and good reputation.
- 6 km of trails, great for bird watchers and photography.
- Reasonable return on investment. By building more rooms as expansion and capital expenditure, better ROI
- 10 ha of titled land with 1 km of frontage.
- Ecolodge on 4 ha and lots of expansion possibilities.
- Primary forest
- Waterfall and canon and natural pools on the property, Quebrada
- Views on Arenal volcano
- Groups 15 to 25 persons in the Hotel
- OTAS main source of income, some travel agency business not big enough, web site 10 % business,
- Many tour options in the area from canopy, waterfalls, mud baths, hot springs…
- 8 Room Ecolodge With 10 Ha Jungle, Volcano Arenal View, La Fortuna (as seen above)
- Off The Grid Total 32 Ha Compound For Your Jungle Challenge
- James Bond House 5 Bedroom With Fantastic View, Bello Horizonte, Escazu
At a discount of roughly 20%, this could be the perfect opportunity to launch your ecolodges and jungle network for just $2.4M. A lodge in southern Costa Rica would be a great addition to the business. You also get a wonderful property in Escazu to serve as a base from which to greet visitors, kick off their tours, and manage the business’s operations.